Generic Name and Formulations:
Butalbital 50mg, acetaminophen 325mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
- Sex-Based Young Adult Asthma Risks Associated With Acetaminophen Use
- Antipyretic Effect on Immune Response to Flu Vaccination in Young Children
- Pharmacological Effects of Alcohol with Medications
- Beers List: Potentially Inappropriate Drugs for Elderly
- Error-Prone Drug Name Abbreviations
Indications for Butalbital/Acetaminophen:
Tension (or muscle contraction) headache.
1–2 tabs every 4 hours; max 6 tabs daily.
Extended use: not recommended. Severe renal or hepatic impairment. Acute abdominal conditions. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by alcohol, other CNS depressants, MAOIs. May cause false (+) urine test for 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid.
Barbiturate + analgesic.
Drowsiness, dizziness, paradoxical excitement, rash; overdosage: respiratory depression, hepatotoxicity.
Formerly known under the brand name Phrenilin.